Have you heard of couscous or polenta? If not, Chef Ryan’s Beans and Greens Ragout Recipe is the perfect way to try one of these nutritionally-dense grains!
Couscous consists of small durum-whet or semolina-flour balls. It’s the same dough used for many different kinds of pasta! Polenta, on the other hand, is a thick, porridgelike cornmeal product.
Whichever one you choose, this tasty recipe supplies a broad assortment of nutritional benefits! For example, couscous provides than 60 percent of our daily suggested selenium intake. Selenium’s many well-researched health benefits include:
- Reducing dangerous plaque and LDL cholesterol buildup within blood vessels!
- Reducing the risk of cancers ( breast, lung, esophageal, gastric, and prostate)
- Boosting the immune system by lowering oxidative stress
- Regulating thyroid hormones and working with Vitamin E to keep your cells from accumulating free radicals.
- Developing muscle mass and strength with 6g of plant-based protein per 1-cup serving.
Beans and Greens Ragout Recipe with Polenta
Of course, going with the polenta brings its own healthy rewards in the form of:
- Complex carbohydrates. Because the digestive system takes its time breaking them down, they won’t cause your blood sugar to spike suddenly.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin, two carotenoids that may decrease the risk of certain eye conditions.
- Flavonoids. They may reduce the risk of age-related diseases, including ones affecting the rain!
So the choice is yours! Whether couscous or polenta supplies the base for your Beans and Greens Ragout Recipe, both your body and taste buds will love the outcome!Print
2-Way Beans and Greens Ragout Recipe
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
1 cup polenta/couscous
4 garlic cloves
4 oz. spinach
4 oz. kale
1 can butter beans or white beans
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp chili flakes
2 T tomato paste
3 cups vegetable broth
pinch of salt
- Add 1.5 cups water to a small saucepan with a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Add couscous or polenta and reduce heat to low to simmer. Cover and cook until water is absorbed (10 min).
- Thinly slice garlic, dice onion, destem kale and chop, slice carrot into rounds.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add garlic, onion, carrot, and a splash of vegetable broth. Add pinch of salt and black pepper to taste. Cook, stirring often, until softened Add Old Bay, chili flakes, and tomato paste. Stir and add in 2.5 cups of vegetable broth. Use more if needed. Bring to a simmer.
- Add in kale, spinach, and beans. Continue to cook and stir occasionally for about 5 min.
- Ladle beans and greens ragout into bowls and top with couscous or polenta.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 470
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 1120mg
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 91g
- Fiber: 27g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 0mg