Over the past few years, a popular cooking trend has been using zucchini spirals (zoodles) as a pasta substitute. Don’t get me wrong, grain-based pasta is delicious!
But for a carb-conscious vegan, Chef Ryan’s Zoodles and Roasted Tomato Sauce replaces grain-based spaghetti with zoodles – and instantly reduces each 1-cup serving’s carb grams from a whopping 43 to a skimpy 7!
The carb count, though, is just one of the reasons to love zucchini! It’s also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, magnesium, and carotenoids.
Notice how that last nutrient sounds similar to “carrots?” It makes sense, because “carotene” traces to the Latin “carota,” meaning “carrot.”
- Maintain a healthy body weight,
- Protect your skin from UV rays and pollution and possibly slow skin aging.
- Boost heart health by reducing your risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
- Strengthen your bones.
So, the next time your spaghetti craving hits, let Chef Ryan’s Zoodles and Roasted Tomato Sauce Recipe satisfy your taste buds and promote your health!
Who knew “spaghetti” could do both?Print
Zoodles and Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
1 can artichokes
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
½ can tomato paste
1 T oregano
Pinch of salt
1 tsp black pepper
¼ cup cashews
¼ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Quarter tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet and into oven for app. 20 min. or until they begin to blacken.
- Drain artichokes and spread on baking sheet to bake while tomatoes are heating.
- Dice onion and garlic. Add to pan over medium heat. Stir frequently. Add a splash of water or broth if sticking.
- Place zucchinis in sprializer and make the zoodles. They will not be cooked.
- When tomatoes are finished, scrape everything from baking sheet into pan with onions and garlic. Add in all sauce ingredients and stir.
- While sauce is simmering, add all cashew parm ingredients to food processor and process for 20 seconds to combine. Set aside.
- Pour sauce into food processor and process for 30 seconds to smooth out sauce (small chunks are fine).
- Add raw zoodles to large side of container with sauce added to small side. Place raw zoodles in bowls.
- Top zoodles with sauce, roasted artichokes, and cashew parm.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 600
- Sugar: 20g
- Sodium: 670mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 17g
- Protein: 40g
- Cholesterol: 0mg