What’s on today’s menu?
Chef Ryan’s Broccolini with Sweet Potatoes and Beluga Lentils recipe! Served with garlicky, gingery coconut relish and packed with nutrients, textures, and flavor, her latest creation delivers everything you’d hope for from a plant-based meal:
- Broccolini is rich in the cancer-fighting compounds sulforaphane and iberin.
- Dr. Michael Greger says sweet potatoes “… can be considered a superfood and… one of the healthiest foods on the entire planet… with one of the highest nutrient-rich food scores per dollar. “
- As to the beluga, or black, lentils? They’re primarily responsible for the 25 grams of protein and 14 grams of cholesterol-lowering fiber per single serving.
Even the Coconut Relish topping on Chef Ryan’s Broccolini with Sweet Potatoes and Beluga Lentils adds a fantastic nutritional punch:
- Raisins (especially golden raisins) rank among the dried fruits highest in disease-prevention antioxidants.
- Ginger and turmeric provide a host of health benefits in addition to their excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
- This study shows that adding mustard seed to broccolini restores the bioavailability of sulforaphane that might have decreased during cooking.
Of course, we also love Coconut Relish for its simultaneously spicy, sweet, and tart taste – a perfect accompaniment for broccolini!
- Yield: 2 servings 1x 1x
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegan
1 large sweet potato
1/2 cup beluga (black) lentils
1/4 cup plant-based milk
4 garlic cloves
1 T ginger
8 oz. broccolini
2 T raisins
2 T coconut flakes
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
- Peel and dice sweet potato. Add to a small saucepan, cover with water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook ~10 min. until fork tender.
- Add lentils and 1 cup of water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are cooked (25 min.)
- Peel and mince garlic. Drain the cooked sweet potatoes and return to the saucepan. Add in half the garlic, plant-based milk, and pinch of salt/pepper. Stir/mash until combined.
- Halve and juice the lemon. Peel and mince the ginger. Trim the bottom inch of the broccolini.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger, remaining garlic, coconut flakes, raisins, mustard seeds, and turmeric. Stir and cook until aromatic (4 min.) Add the lemon juice and transfer relish to a bowl.
- Reheat pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup water, pinch of salt and broccolini. Cover, and cook until water evaporates and broccolini is tender.
- Flip broccolini and cook for an additional 2 min.
- Divide the sweet potatoes and lentils between two plates. Top with pan-seared broccolini and coconut relish.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 550
- Fat: 7
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 63
- Fiber: 14
- Protein: 26
- Cholesterol: 0