If you’re a “die-for-Thai” sort of person, you might find yourself heading for the kitchen as soon as you finish checking out this week’s Coconut Thai Curry Recipe.
Loaded with complex carbs and a rainbow of flavonoid-rich veggies, this coconut Thai curry leaves the intensity and color of your curry paste up to you.
So grab a jar of your favorite variety, parboil your rice, and prepare to start chopping and dicing your way to a bowl full of healthy, hearty Thai goodness!
Important: Parboil Rice Before Cooking!
Researchers from the University of Sheffield report a ethod of removing up to half the arsenic from rice while still retaining all its nutrients:
- Add 4 cups of water to a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of rice and boil for five more minutes.
- Discard the arsenic-tainted water and replace it with 2 cups of fresh.
- Cover the saucepan and cook over low to medium heat until the water is absorbed.
Colorful Coconut Thai Curry with 8 Veggies
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Vegan
4 T curry paste (any color you like)
1 broccoli crown
1 butternut squash
1 yellow onion
4 yellow potatoes
1 red pepper
4 baby bok choy (or 1 large bok choy)
2 large handfuls spinach
3 cans coconut milk
1 cup brown rice
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
- Dice potatoes, red pepper, squash, and onion. Add to large pot and saute 5-10 minutes on medium-high heat. Add splash of water or broth if sticking.
- Thinly slice carrots on the bias and chop broccoli into 1-inch pieces. Add to the cooking vegetables.
- Once vegetables have started to soften and lightly brown, add in coconut milk, curry paste, salt and pepper, and lime juice.
- Cover and let curry simmer for 20-30 minutes on medium-low heat. Add in water or vegetable broth if you would like the curry to be thinner.
- In the last couple minutes of cooking, stir in spinach and chopped bok choy.
- When rice is tender, remove lid and fluff rice. Let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Portion rice into bowls and top with ladles of curry vegetables. Sprinkle with cilantro or green onions if desired.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 530
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 76g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 0mg