Now that winter’s moved on, we’re more than ready for today’s recipe!
As light as the feeling of spring in the air, Chef Ryan’s citrusy Lemon Basil Arugula Pasta with Cashew Basil “Cream” Sauce lifts your favorite pasta with zesty arugula and anise-laced basil, brightened by hints of garlic and Dijon mustard.
Its Cashew Basil Cream sauce (without the cream!) will have you scraping your plate. The secret’s in the starchy pasta cooking water that thickens the sauce and holds the finished dish together.
And feast your eyes on this pasta’s powerhouse combination of immunity-building ingredients:
Arugula: (a high-sulforaphane food, also rich in vitamins A, C, K, and five B-complex vitamins)
Black pepper (boosts your natural killer cell activity)
Miso (a fermented soybean paste and good source of gut-healthy probiotics)
Garlic (fights the common cold and cancer)
Walnuts (a source of cholesterol-lowering, inflammation-reversing healthy fat)
Like all her recipes, Chef Ryan’s Lemon Basil Arugula Pasta is as nutritious as it’s tasty. Enjoy!
Lemon Basil Arugula Pasta
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup walnuts
1 yellow onion
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 box of pasta (any type you like)
1 large handful arugula
4 oz Cashew Basil Cream:
1/4 cup basil
1/2 cup cashews
2 T lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 T miso paste
3 T nutritional yeast
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
¼–½ cup water as needed
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Peel and mince garlic and onion. Roughly chop basil leaves.
- Add walnuts to a skillet over medium heat and toast. Shake the pan/stir frequently because they can burn fast! This should take 5 min. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add in splash of water or broth with garlic and onions. Cook until softened, 5 min. Add in mustard and stir.
- Once water is boiling add in pasta, stir, and cook until al dente (8-10 min). Drain pasta, but reserve 1/3 cup of the pasta water.
- Add pasta water and all of the basil cream ingredients to a high speed blender. Blend until completely smooth, adding in small amounts of water to desired consistency.
- Return pasta to pot and toss with garlic, onions, cashew basil cream, pasta water, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Halve the lemon and juice one half. Cut the other half into wedges for topping. Add lemon juice and arugula to the pasta and toss.
- Divide between plates or bowls and top with basil, walnuts, and lemon wedge.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 600
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 470 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 99 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 21 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg