As the weather slowly begins to cool, you may be looking for some new body-warming and soul-satisfying soup ideas. So this week, Chef Ryan is sharing her recipe for Mexican Chile Soup.
Have you heard of the ancho chile pepper? Just seeing its name may be enough to make you hesitate to toss one into a soup.
But by combining the ancho chile pepper’s sweet, chocolatey flavor and lower capsaicin content with creamy avocado slices and cooling, cashew sour cream, Chef Ryan has come up with a somewhat milder version of a classic Mexican treat!
Still not convinced? Then consider that ancho chiles’ anti-inflammatory kick can help relieve several health issues, including:
- diabetic neuropathy
Each serving also provides 26 grams of protein, 28 grams of fiber, and all the brain-boosting benefits of fresh garlic. And like all Chef Ryan’s creations, her Mexican Chile Soup is completely oil-free!Print
Mexican Chile Soup
- Yield: 2 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 dried ancho chile
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 T cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 T flour (any kind you like)
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- fresh cilantro for topping
Cashew sour cream (or use a store-bought vegan sour cream)
- ⅓ cup cashews
- 2 T vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Water as needed
- Trim and deseed ancho chile.
- Add 3 cups of water and the deseeded chile to a saucepan.
- . Bring water to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Let the chile simmer until its soft. Reserve water.
- Peel and dice onion, mince garlic, and drain the pinto beans.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, and 1 tsp salt. Cook until onion is softened and add in splashes of water if sticking.
- Add the beans and tomatoes to the pot. Reduce heat to simmer.
- In a blender add rehydrated chile, 1 tsp salt, 2 T flour, and 2 cups of chile water. Blend till smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture to the large pot and stir to combine. Cover and simmer the soup over low heat.
- Halve and dice the avocado. Roughly chop the cilantro and slice half of the lime into wedges. Juice the other half, add that juice to the soup and stir.
- Blend cashew sour cream ingredients on high, adding small amounts of water until smooth and thick.
- Portion out soup and top with avocado, lime, cilantro, and sour cream!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 580
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 870mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 94g
- Fiber: 28g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 0mg