For today’s recipe, we’re choosing Chef Ryan’s Pesto Orange Beet Bowl. Like the pie in the old nursery rhyme, it’s a selection we wouldn’t hesitate to “set before a king.”
If you’ve had the chance to stop by Fruitive, maybe someone recommended our most popular item: Avocado Herb Toast. So what makes this popular dish stand out from other avocado toast recipes you’ve seen?
Our homemade Basil Pesto Mayo! The word “basil” actually comes from the ancient Greek “basilikon,” which translates as “royal.” So every bite of our Avocado Herb Toast treats you to a taste of royalty!
But basil does much, much more. Named the International Herb Society’s 2003 Herb of the Year, the antioxidant-rich herb helps fight free radicals that put you at risk of:
- heart disease
Basil also helps alleviate anxiety and depression and protects against age-related memory loss!
Our oil-free Basil Pesto also shows up in Chef Ryan’s Pesto Orange Beet Bowl. But it’s only one ingredient elevating this dish to nutritional nobility.
The generous portions of quinoa and cannellini beans in each citrus-infused serving provide 25 grams of fiber and 28 grams of protein.Print
Pesto Orange Beet Bowl Recipe
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
1 large red beet
1 can cannellini/butter beans
1/4 oz fresh oregano
1/2 cup quinoa
¼ cup fresh basil
½ cup cashews
2 T nutritional yeast
1 T apple cider vinegar
Pinch of salt/black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and cut red beet into cubes and spread on baking sheet. Toss with salt and pepper and roast for 20 min.
- Add quinoa to a small saucepan with 3/4 cup water and pinch of salt and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 min. or until all of the water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Halve the avocado and dice the flesh.
- Zest and halve the lemon and orange. Juice the lemon.
- Cut one half of the orange into wedges or chunks and juice the other half.
- Pick the oregano leaves.
- Add beans, diced avocado and orange zest, orange juice, and oregano leaves to a bowl. Sprinkle with pinch of salt/pepper and toss.
- Add basil, cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and zest, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of salt/pepper to a blender or food processor. Pulse until the pesto is smooth.
- Divide quinoa between two bowls and top with marinated beans and roasted beets.
- Top bowls with orange wedges and sprinkle with extra orange zest if you would like. Serve with dollops of fresh basil pesto.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 620
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 510mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 91g
- Fiber: 25g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 0mg