In July, Chef Ryan’s Gnocchi with Fresh Ginger and Nori recipe treated us to a mouthwatering taste of vegan fusion cuisine.
Today, ginger and nori return in her autumn-inspired Rice and Squash Stew recipe, with butternut squash and bok choi taking the honors for the weekly recipe’s healthiest ingredients!
Keep Cancer Away with Rice and Squash Stew
Butternut squash, says Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health, is a terrific source of the beta-carotene our bodies convert to eye-protective Vitamin A, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
A high beta-carotene blood level also reduces the risk of developing arsenic-related skin cancer by an astonishing 99 percent, according to this NutritionFacts video.
And, speaking of cancer-fighting veggies? Sulforaphane-rich bok choy takes the term to an entirely new level! It helps protect us from:
Speaking of cancer-fighting veggies, bok coy is a great source of sulforaphane. This all-around cancer nemesis reduces our risk of:
and colon cancers.
But sulforaphane’s powers don’t stop there. According to 2019 research from Beijing’s Institute of Biotechnology, it also:
- has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties
- decreases placental and endothelial oxidative stress
- reduces mixed granulocyte asthma
- positively affects a variety of neurological disorders
and protects against skeletal-muscular disease!
For a seasonal recipe that will get your fall off to the healthiest possible start, you can’t do better than Chef Ryan’s Rice and Squash Stew recipe!
Rice and Squash Stew
1 cup rice (any kind you prefer)
4 garlic cloves
1 yellow onion
1 oz ginger
4 baby bok choy
10 oz butternut squash
1 tsp tamari/soy sauce
1 cup coconut milk
1.5 cups vegetable broth
2 tsp nori spice/dulse flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add rice with 1.75 cups of water and pinch of salt to saucepan, bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until water is absorbed.
- Peel butternut squash and cube. Spread on baking sheet and season with salt/pepper. Bake 15-20 min. Until browned.
- Peel and mince garlic and ginger. Thinly slice onion.
- Quarter bok choy and season with tamari and pepper. Place on baking sheet and bake until browned, 10 min.
- Heat splash of broth in skillet and add in garlic onion, and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes, then add roasted squash, coconut milk, and broth. Add half the nori spice or dulse flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer until everything is fork-tender.
- Ladle stew into bowls. Top with rice and baked bok choy. Sprinkle with nori spice.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 470g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 0