Way back in March, we shared Chef Ryan’s recipe for garlic-, ginger-, and curry-infused Indian Spiced sweet potatoes. For today’s recipe, the scene shifts to the American Southwest.
For the underpinnings for Chef Ryan’s Southwest Sweet Potato Bowl, replace the garlic, ginger, and curry with cumin, smoked paprika, and cilantro.
Then top the veggies with dollops of lime-, maple-, and jalapeno-enlivened Tomatillo Crema. It’s that simple!
Every bowl delivers 17 grams each of gut-healing fiber and muscle-building protein, with zero oil or cholesterol!
The next time you’re in the mood for a hearty, satisfying, and oh-so-healthy salad singing with Southwestern flavor? Look no further than Chef Ryan’s Southwest Sweet Potato Bowl!
Tip: For the biggest nutritional impact, build your bowls with purple-fleshed sweet potatoes. They’re exceptionally high in disease-fighting anthocyanins.Print
Southwest Sweet Potato Bowl & Tomatillo Crema
- Cuisine: Southwestern
- Diet: Vegan
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 can black beans
½ cup frozen corn
¼ yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
1 medium/large tomato
½ bunch cilantro
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 container firm tofu
1 jalapeno, de-seeded
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 T maple syrup
¼ bunch of cilantro (use from above)
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp salt
(Makes extra. Refrigerate up 1 week.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dice sweet potatoes into 1 in. bite-sized pieces.
- Toss sweet potatoes with cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to coat.
- Bake sweet potatoes for app. 25 min. Until browned.
- Drain and rinse black beans and corn.
- Dice tomatoes, chop cilantro, juice lime, dice yellow onion and combine in a bowl. Season with salt/pepper.
- Chop tomatillos and add to Vitamix to blend with crema ingredients.
- Divide sweet potatoes, beans, corn, peppers, and pico between bowls. Top with tomatillo crema and extra cilantro/lime wedges!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 15
- Sodium: 670
- Fat: 3.5
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 73
- Fiber: 17
- Protein: 17
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: southwest sweet potato bowl recipe