For those nights when only a cheesy, creamy, zesty Italian dish will do, we’re offering Vegan Baked Ziti with garden-fresh basil and melt-in-you-mouth, cheesy garlic cream.
Not a hint of dairy anywhere, but before baking we top the dish with vegan-based parmesan. Made from a raw cashew and hemp-seed base, it’s a great source of healthy plant-based protein and omega fatty acids!
Just add your marinara sauce and Italian seasoning blend of choice and dig into a hearty, wholesome Tuscan treat!Print
Vegan Baked Ziti with Cheesy Garlic Cream
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 1/2 cup cooked, peeled, and mashed yukon
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb ziti or penne pasta (GF if needed)
- 4 cups marinara sauce (any brand you like or make your own!)
- 2 T Italian seasoning blend
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- pinch salt/pepper
- Prepare the Cashew Parm. Place 1/4 cup raw (not soaked) cashews, 1/4 cup hemp seeds, 2 T nutrition yeast, and 1 pinch each of salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until the texture of fine meal.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the pasta until just al dente in salted water. Don’t overcook because it’s going in the oven. If using gluten-free pasta, remember it cooks more quickly. Follow the cooking-time recommendation on the box.
- While the pasta’s cooking, prepare your creamy garlic cheese sauce. If you aren’t using a high-powered blender, boil your cashews in water until very soft.
- Add the peeled, mashed potato and cashews to your blender along with the lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, and 3/4 cup of water.
- Blend until completely smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Drain your cooked pasta, rinse it briefly and add it to a large bowl.
- In the same bowl, add the marinara sauce, chopped basil, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes (optional).
- Stir the pasta mixture to coat it well throughout.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13 glass baking dish. Spread it out evenly.
- Drizzle the cheesy garlic cream over the pasta. Stir it gently with the basil, reserving a small amount for dolloping over the top of the dish.
- Sprinkle the mixture with Cashew Parm.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until bubbling is visible on the sides of the mixture and the top starts turning golden brown.
- Top with extra fresh basil if desired. Serve immediately!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 570
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 430mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 77g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 0mg