Vegan Potato Chowder With Horseradish Cream
Forget the heavy cream and buttery roux. Chef Ryan’s take on classic potato chowder is a hearty, 100-percent plant-based creation loaded with the textures of onions, carrots, cauliflower, and, of course, potatoes.
A dollop of zesty Cashew Horseradish Cream adds the perfect finish to each yummy bowl.
A dairy-, gluten-, and cruelty-free comfort food, Vegan Potato Chowder is sure to satisfy the hungriest appetite any day of the week. So why not dish up a bowl, pull up a chair, reach for a spoon and DIG IN?Print
Vegan Potato Chowder with Horseradish Cream
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
4 garlic cloves
6 oz. cauliflower
4 oz. carrots
6 oz. potatoes
3 cups vegetable broth
Horseradish Cashew Cream
1/3 cup cashews (soaked for 1 hour prior)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp horseradish
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 T mustard powder
- Dice onion, mince garlic, and chop cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the drained cashews, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, salt, and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth. Add in small splashes of water to blend, but you want the consistency to be thick like a cream. Set aside for topping.
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat and add onion and garlic with a splash of broth. Cook until softened, 5 min.
- Add cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes to the pot and stir. Add in mustard powder, 3 cups vegetable broth and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring pot to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low to let chowder simmer for 20 min.
- Once vegetables are tender, add half of the chowder to a blender. Blend until vegetables are pureed and return the puree to the pot. Stir and add seasoning to taste.
- Ladle chowder into bowls and dollop with horseradish cream. Serve with bread if desired.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 1130mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg