Edible banana peels? Who knew?
Chef Ryan, that’s who! And today she’s sharing her oh-so-healthy, not to mention unbelievably tasty, recipe for banana peel carnitas tacos.
This vegan take on the classic Mexican pork dish is packed with:
- Vitamin B6
- essential amino acids
- polyunsaturated fats
and, of course, potassium.
With the right preparation and seasonings, the part of the banana we’d normally discard becomes a highly nutritious meat alternative.
So save the fruit’s insides for vegan banana bread, grab the jalapenos, cilantro, avocado, and tortillas, and prepare for a fiesta in your mouth!Print
Banana Peels “Carnitas” Tacos
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
6 very ripe banana peels
½ yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
1 jalapeno pepper
1 T oregano
1 T cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1 T liquid aminos or soy sauce
½ tsp salt
¼ cup orange juice (1 whole orange)
2 cups purple cabbage shreds
2 ears of corn or ¾ cup frozen corn
6 small tortillas (any brand you like)
½ bunch cilantro
- Remove peels from the bananas (you can use the bananas in a smoothie or banana bread). Gently use a spoon to scrape away the fleshy part of the peel, leaving just the skin.
- Use a fork or a tool to shred the peels into strips.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Dice onion and mince garlic and jalapeno. Add to pan with splash of water. Cook until softened.
- Add banana peel, oregano, 2 tsp of cumin, and black pepper. Stir to coat everything.
- Squeeze orange juice over the mixture along with liquid aminos or soy sauce. Squeeze a lime wedge over the pan and stir everything together.
- Bring to a simmer on medium low heat and cover the pot. Cook for 30 min. Or until the peels are very tender and have become more flavorful. Season or add more liquid aminos as needed.
- While carnitas are cooking, thinly slice purple cabbage into shreds. Combine in bowl with juice from one lime and pinch of salt. Massage the salt and lime juice into the cabbage. Set aside.
- Slice the corn off the cob or remove from packaging and heat in a skillet over medium high heat until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and add to bowl with remaining lime juice, pinch of salt, tsp of cumin, and chopped cilantro. Mash everything together with a fork to make guacamole.
- Warm tacos and assemble. Start with carnitas as the base, then top with massaged cabbage, corn, and guacamole. Add more cilantro or lime wedges if desired.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 530
- Sugar: 28g
- Sodium: 1100mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 102g
- Fiber: 21g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg